1 butternut squash
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, or sage, (optional)
Honey or maple syrup, for drizzling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice the stem off of the top of the squash and remove the bottom. With a strong vegetable peeler, remove and discard the squash’s skin.
- Cut the squash in half down the middle. Remove and discard the seeds.
- Slice the flesh into 1/4-inch dice and place on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Liberally drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. If desired, sprinkle with the herbs and drizzle with the honey or syrup. Toss to combine.
- If using the squash for a salad, roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes (tossing once to rotate) until the squash is tender. If you plan on pureeing the squash, roast for 40-50 minutes until its very soft and beginning to brown.
Depending on the size of your squash, you should have 2-3 cups.