Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chimichurri, recipe below
- About an hour before grilling, take the meat out of the fridge. Place on a large baking sheet and let come to room temperature.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- Season the tri-tip with salt and pepper. Then flip and season the other side with salt and pepper. Repeat to ensure that the meat is generously seasoned.
- Grill the steak for 8-9 minutes per side until a meat thermometer inserted in the fattest part reaches 140°F. Once removed from the grill, let the steak rest for 10-15 minutes; it will continue to cook. The temperature for medium rare steak is 145°F. If you prefer steak more well done, continue to cook until desired temperature is reached, remembering that while resting it will rise about 5 degrees.
- Thickly slice steak and serve with the chimichurri sauce.
This recipe should be used as a guide and can easily be adapted to your liking and taste.
1 cup fresh oregano, finely minced
1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon red pepper, finely minced
1 tablespoon Spanish pimenton picante (or smoky Spanish paprika)
1/4-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine first five ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes about 3/4 cup of sauce.