1 tablespoon olive oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced
Pinch of sugar
Butter, for spreading
2 slices of white bread
1/4 cup finely grated gouda cheese
5 thin slices pepper turkey
3 sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, patted dry, and finely chopped
1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1 heaping tablespoon crumbled goat cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. When it’s hot, add the shallots and pinch of sugar. Saute, being careful not to burn the shallots, for 7-9 minutes until they are limp, caramelized, and fragrant.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sandwich. Spread each slice of bread with a generous amount of butter and place the bread on a work surface, buttered side down.
- Top one of the bread slices with the gouda cheese, turkey, and sun-dried tomatoes. Place the caramelized shallots on top of the sun-dried tomatoes and top with the parmesan cheese and goat cheese. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Cover with the second slice of bread, buttered side out.
- Heat the skillet over medium-low heat. Place the sandwich in the skillet. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook, slowly for 4-5 minutes until the bottom is golden brown and crispy.
- Flip the sandwich and cook on the other side, slowly again for another 4-5 minutes. The outside should be crispy and the inside should have gooey cheese and warm turkey.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan and let sit on a cutting board for a minute. Slice in half on the diagonal and enjoy immediately.