1 small shallot, sliced into rings
1/4-1/3 cup white wine vinegar
2 ripe roma tomatoes
1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the shallot rings in a small bowl. Add enough white wine vinegar to just cover the shallots. Set aside.Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half into wedges 1/4 inch wide. Place the tomato chunks in a large bowl.
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit. Peel off the skin and dice the avocado into large, bite-sized chunks. Add the avocado to the bowl with the tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the basil, garlic, and mustard. Add a teaspoon of the white wine vinegar from the shallots. Whisk to combine. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the dressing to your liking, adding more oil, vinegar, salt, or pepper if necessary.
- Drain the shallot and dry on a paper towel. Add to the avocado and tomato.
- Pour the dressing over the tomato, avocados, and shallot. With a large spoon, carefully toss the salad together so that each piece of tomato and avocado is coated in the vinaigrette. Enjoy immediately.