Although I don’t consider myself a very patriotic person, I love the 4th of July. It’s such a wonderful reason for a party! One year I even made a flag cake with a horribly crooked berry flag. It didn’t look perfect, but it tasted great, and that’s all that really matters, right? In honor of the all-American holiday, here’s 10 simple ways to get your star-spangled banner on.
1. Wear red, white, and blue. I’m wearing my 4th of July dress in the photo to the right (that was taken in 2007! I’m posing with my hostess for the holiday, a family friend, Denise). I got it years ago and only wear it on the 4th day of July.
2. Paint your nails red, white, or blue. Mine are red!
3. Go to a barbecue. I’m going to a BBQ on Baker beach.
4. Eat all-American food: ribs, burgers, pies, guacamole, hot dogs, etc. On the menu at the barbecue: ribs, slaw, corn salad, and palomas. I’m bringing two appetizers: classic 7-layer dip and grilled feta and tomato packets. Stay tuned for the recipes.
5. Sing, “I’m proud to be an American,” at the top of your lungs. This will happen at some point today. It always does. Probably after several cocktails.
6. Listen to Katy Perry’s “Firework” at least once. I’ve got it playing as I write this.
7. Watch a firework celebration. Normally I’m at my cabin on the 4th, so we watch the fireworks on television (because fireworks are prohibited in the mountains), but today I’m excited to see them live!
8. Enjoy a red, white, or blue cocktail. I’m making tinto de veranos.
9. Text loved ones with a festive message full of emoticons. Cheesy yes, but fun!
10. Decorate your house with red, white, and blue or stars and stripes. The below photo is what’s currently on my kitchen table!