If you’re a friend or family member, or a reader of this website, you know that I’m totally obsessed with birthdays. Especially my own birthday. I started planning the celebration for my 30th birthday September 17th, 2010, the day after my 29th birthday. I love birthdays for lots of reason, but quite simply because they are an excuse to throw a party, eat a cake, and wear a fabulous new dress. Also, all the people I love come together and have a great time.
Normally, I start planning my birthday about two months in advance, around the middle of July. However, it’s already August and I don’t know what sort of party I should throw! Here’s a rundown of what I’ve done for the past ten years. Take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions for what I should do for 30-wonderful. I’m contemplating hosting a Spanish Saturday-style celebration with swimming and all day eating, but need more ideas!
20. I threw a keg party at the Blake Street house in Berkeley. I passed out early and learned the very important lesson of not drinking too much before a party. I also learned the very important lesson of never wearing two different color socks under boots. Someone took off my boots while I was sleeping and apparently everyone at the party paraded up to see me passed out in mis-matched socks!
21. Cocktail party in my grandfather’s backyard. My friend Andrew made a Real World-ish recording, complete with confessionals, of the event. When I asked him to watch it a week later, he told me he was going to edit it into a video and we would watch it ten years later at my 31st birthday party. I reminded him of this earlier this summer and he said he would look for the video!
22. Late night blowout bash at Zona Libre, my favorite bar in Cordoba, Spain. Everyone had to wear black, white, or hot pink and I covered all the walls in the bar with black, white, and hot pink paper. Antonio, the owner and bartender, made his version of the Cosmopolitan for the party.
23. Intimate night of drinking at the Blake Street house in Berkeley. I think just my sister, her best friend, Andrew, Jon, and I were there. I wore a pale pink drapey top from Mango that I still love today!
24. Dinner at my favorite restaurant, an Italian place that served the best pizza in Cordoba, Spain, with my then Spanish boyfriend Javi. Foreshadowing our upcoming breakup, he didn’t give me a birthday gift.
25. Wild weekend with my sister and her friends in San Diego. We went to dinner and Laura, a friend from college, was in town. Then we all went dancing. I also threw a Moroccan themed dinner at my parent’s house where I received the most amazing heels as a gift.
27. Late night blowout bash with a flamingo theme at 15 Romolo, my favorite bar in San Francisco. Scott Baird set up a special bar, with tons of Miller High Life (my favorite beer), for my friends, and I and turned the money function to the jukebox off, so everyone could play whatever songs they wanted. I also made a bunch of delicious snacks and wore a tiara!
28. An elaborate dinner party at my grandfather’s house for 28 of my closest friends. I made the four course meal, that included shrimp scampi and baked pasta with cheese, and had special wine pairings for each dish. It was a grand old time!
29. Vacation in Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain. A small group of us went to the Feria de Tapas in Rota, this amazing tapa competition. We ate scrumptious food and I wore a cute little romper.
30. Cocktail party for 80 of my closest friends and family at Rosewood. The back bar and patio were closed for the event and I made an assortment of bar nibbles and tons of decorations. There were specialty cocktails, tons of Champagne, a cake shaped like a 30, and dancing!