I’ve always believed that the little things in life are important. Small luxuries, like a glass of sparkling Pinot Noir or a perfectly soft-boiled egg, make me happy on a regular basis. Speaking of soft-boiled eggs, I’m going through a serious soft-boiled egg phase and enjoy making them for breakfast at least once a week. I know it’s not good to have an egg everyday, but once or twice a week seems okay to me. Making a delicious soft-boiled egg is easy; having a soft-boiled egg cup to eat it out of is necessary to maximize soft-boiled-egg eating pleasure. For a full breakfast, I serve the egg with a small piece of fruit and a couple of toast soldiers or crostini for dipping.
How to Make Perfect Soft Boiled Eggs, Every Time
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over high heat.
- When the water is at a rolling boil, turn down the heat to medium high.
- With a slotted spoon, carefully lower the egg into the water. You don’t want it to crack! Cook the egg for exactly 3 minutes. If it’s a super large egg, let it cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove the egg, dry with a towel, and transfer to the egg cup. With a knife or spoon, crack off the top of the egg. The egg whites should be set, but the yolks will still be runny.
- Season the egg generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Enjoy immediately with long, thin pieces of buttered toasted bread.