I don’t really get why so many people dislike anchovies. I love them and think they impart a wonderful flavor to everything from pasta sauce to salad dressing. When they are blended into a marinade, you don’t even know they are there. If you’re afraid of cooking with anchovies, let this be your gateway recipe. It’s simple and delicious and the perfect thing to eat on a spring night. Don’t skip the grilled lemon part — a squeeze of warm lemon makes the lamb taste so good. Seriously, I wish I was having these for dinner tonight!
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
8 anchovies, finely chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
12 lamb chops
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large glass bowl, big enough to hold all of the lamb chops, combine the garlic with the thyme and anchovies.
- Zest 1 of the lemons and add the zest to the garlic anchovy mixture. Slice the zested lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl.
- Pour the olive oil into the mixture and stir well to combine.
- Unwrap the lamb chops and pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the lamb chops into the garlic anchovy olive oil mixture and make sure that each chop is coated in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or if you have the time, overnight.
- Bring a grill to medium high heat.
- Slice the remaining lemons into thirds.
- Remove the chops from the marinade place on the grill. Grill 3-5 minutes per side until the chops are cooked. Grill the lemons for 1 minute. Place on a severing platter and let the meat rest for 10 minutes. Squeeze the lemon over and enjoy immediately.